Sunday, October 5, 2008

The end...

Okay, the ending of Nineteen Minutes was just…awesome. I loved the major twist at the end, because I was totally kind of hoping for something like that to happen. I’m just honestly surprised that Jodi Piccoult actually had Josie as part of the murderous duo. Oh, my GOD, I loved it.

I think I’m mostly relieved that Josie was actually willing to stand up for herself and for what was right, even if that wasn’t exactly the BEST way to handle the situation. I’m glad that after taking all that abuse from Matt she finally helped to do something about it. Granted, shooting him may not have been the greatest career move…but I think it was better than continually taking the mental/physical beating she had endured.

What’s even stranger is that I almost am grateful for Peter’s role in helping Josie grow a backbone. Yes, Peter still ended up being the super creeper/murder mastermind/villain, but he also helped someone. And maybe in the long run, that counts for something for him personally. Maybe it’ll help him sleep at night, instead of thinking about all the dead kids whose parents still hate him. Something.

The other thing that really stuck with me was Alex Cormier having another kid. I mean, it was obvious from the start that she was going to hook up with Patrick and have some sort of fling with him…I’m just glad it lasted longer than a fling. Maybe it’s healthier for her and Josie, once Josie’s done with her stint in prison.

Overall, I just loved the end of the story. I loved the way the characters all seemed to get their acts together in their respective ways. I loved it loved it loved it.

Word Count: 288

2 comments:

Lexie said...

I understand what you said about Josie finally growing a backbone, but I see her actions more as cowardice. Instead of just telling Matt that it was over, she felt like she had to kill him in order to end their relationship. It's almost like she took the easy way out. Instead of confronting her problems, she just ended them with a bullet. I think that’s why Josie is my least favorite character; she cares too much about what people think about her.

As for Alex and Patrick, I’m glad that they’re having a child too. I think Alex will learn how to be a better mom. I agree with you; I think she will have a better relationship with Josie because of it.

Stephanie said...

I was definitely opposed to Peter helping Josie, because i thought it got him into an unnecessary situation that would only make his problems worse. But now that you mention you liked it because it will help Peter in the long run. Maybe in did help him sleep at night... for the few night he had left anyway.

And to add to Lexie's response, Josie definetely did take the easy way out by killing Matt instead of perhaps talking to him or getting help from an adult. Crazy Ideas, i know, but i thought they'd of been worth a try.

Word Count: 100