Sunday, September 21, 2008

19 Mins. Blog 1 - Similarities With One Big Difference

To be completely honest, the first response I had to reading this book was, how am I ever going to remember all these characters? The beginning of the book introduces a plethora of different persona's amongst a variety of settings. Though, as I continued to swim through the pages- gradually piecing together how the characters would play a role in the novel- it became apparent that their lives were all intertwined like a weave in a basket. The way the author describes the setting of the school and uses description relating to the reader, is clearly a brilliant method of developing a connection between the story and it's audience.
Ironically, the characters possessed qualities or dealt with situations that I've had to deal with during the seventeen years I've walked this earth. Looking back to most recent years, Josie is probably the character I can relate to the most. Her feeling of putting up a front and hiding her inner feelings and conflicts- afraid of what people would think of her in the end- is as if I was looking into a mirror three years ago.
When first purchasing the book, I didn't know exactly what it would be about. Let's just say I was so unaware of this, I thought the book was a recluse adolescent boy. Thus, once the first chapter swept by me, as do ripples in a lake vacillate against the sandy shore, I was on the verge of tears and pure mortal terror. How could one person- such a young one at that- inflict so much damage? Being invisible to others is very emotionally distressing, yet having a little voice in your head calling out for revenge by gun fire is just simply ludicrous! Could one child retain so much anger and vehemence toward others that such an act having occurred cause not even a flutter of the eye?

(313 words)

No comments: